Overlapping teeth, also known as misalignment, occur when your upper teeth extend past your lower teeth vertically. Many reasons for this type of malocclusion exist, including genetics or bad habits such as thumb sucking. Regardless of the specific reason in your case, Invisalign for overlapping front teeth represents the most successful treatment. Your overlapped teeth with Invisalign gradually adjust to proper alignment. Ask our dentist Dr. Farokhzadeh from Park Ave Smiles, about Invisalign for straighter teeth and fix overlapping.
What Causes Overlapping Teeth?
Sometimes, front teeth grow in uncomfortably overlapped. While a little misaligned is normal, severe overlapping, called malocclusion, needs to be treated. Understanding what causes teeth to grow in overlapped helps you understand why Invisalign for overlapping front teeth is the best treatment option. Visit your family dentist to learn more about the various causes such as:
- Sometimes, your mouth is too small for your teeth. This crowds the teeth, causing them to shift. This is most likely a trait you inherited from your parents.
- Maybe your upper and lower jaw aren’t the same size, or they’re malformed. This results in the protrusion of your upper jaw, resulting in an overbite. It can also cause an under-bite, which is when your lower jaw juts forward, causing your lower teeth to extend beyond your upper teeth.
- Extra teeth can put pressure on your front teeth, shifting them forward. This is another hereditary trait.
- Lost teeth and other unusual conditions let your teeth grow where they shouldn’t.
- Childhood habits — like thumb sucking or extensive bottle use — also cause malocclusion.
- Improperly fitting dental restorations, including things like fillings and crowns, have been known to cause overlapping teeth.
- Oral health problems affect the structure of your teeth. This includes gingivitis, which is a gum disease, as well as tumors in your mouth or jaw.
- When you injure your jaw, misalignment often follows.
The dentists are very professional , and polite.
Very good in their field.
Great place 👍🏻👍🏻
Symptoms Requiring Invisalign for Overlapping Front Teeth
When you come in for an examination, our best-rated dental experts explain why certain symptoms exist and why Invisalign for overlapping front teeth may be the best treatment option for you. Symptoms that respond well to Invisalign include:
- Improper alignment of your teeth
- Changes in the shape of your face — making it look abnormal when severe enough
- Frequently biting your inner cheeks or tongue
- Discomfort or difficulty when chewing or biting
- Problems with speech, including developing a lisp
- Breathing through your mouth instead of your nose
If your teeth are left untreated:
- Over time, your teeth wear unnaturally, causing them to weaken and fall out.
- You’ll have difficulty chewing and speaking, even if you don’t develop a lisp.
- You may develop jaw pain, which causes headaches.
- You may have a tendency toward tooth grinding and clenching, which can have damaging results.
- Difficulty cleaning your teeth causes an increased amount of tooth decay, which leads to gum disease.
- You may lose your self-esteem due to the embarrassment caused by your appearance.
Diagnosing Overlapped Teeth
Dentists diagnose overlapping teeth based on your teeth’s appearance and your symptoms. They take X-rays to rule out other possible causes for your pain. Typically, this all occurs during a routine exam.
When misaligned teeth aren’t readily apparent, your dentist may do more X-rays. These include head or skull X-rays and facial X-rays. Sometimes, making diagnostic models of your teeth is also necessary. Eventually, your dentist, skilled in cosmetic dentistry, reaches a diagnosis.
Overlapping Teeth Treatment
Few people have perfectly aligned teeth. Malocclusion is only problematic in severe cases. It’s then you’ll need treatment. Orthodontists often take responsibility for treating overlapping teeth. But your family dentist can treat crowded or crooked teeth with Invisalign. The goal is to correct the position of your teeth. In addition to adjusting, reshaping, bonding and capping teeth so they don’t fall into further disrepair, fix overlapping teeth with Invisalign to:
- Stabilize your teeth so further overlapping doesn’t happen
- Make teeth easier to clean, which decreases your risk of tooth decay and periodontal disease, including gingivitis
- Eliminate strain on your teeth, jaws, and muscles so you don’t break a tooth or develop temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder
In really severe cases, you may need one or more of your teeth removed. Dentists do this when overcrowding is the cause of your overlapping teeth. Surgically reshaping your jaw —using wires, plates and screws — is another option.
How To Fix Overlapping Front Teeth with Invisalign?
Can Invisalign fix overlapping teeth? Invisalign for overlapping teeth is an effective way of comfortably teeth straightening. Treatment consists of a series of aligners, each set worn for about two weeks. You wear them at all times, except when you’re eating, drinking, or brushing and flossing your teeth. Slowly, they align your teeth.
In the past, dentists placed braces and other metal appliances on your teeth to straighten them. They were the only treatment for overlapping teeth. Today, one of the most commonly used treatment options by a Saturday dentist or a Sunday dentist is Invisalign. Throughout the process, you only visit your dentist once every six weeks for a check-up. The entire process takes, on average, about a year. Fixing overlapping teeth with Invisalign is effective and painless.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Cost of Straighten Teeth Correction?
The average cost of dental recontouring is between $50 to $500 per tooth. Diagnosis, your dentist’s experience, and additional medications also impact the cost.
The cost of teeth overlapping treatment varies depending on:
- Your dental insurance
- The location of the clinic
- The complexity of your condition
You can cover some of the expenses with the orthodontic insurance plan.
Is Overlapping Teeth Treatment Covered by Insurance?
Treatment of teeth misalignment may be expensive, especially in cases of strong overlap. Generally, most insurance plans can cover a certain percentage of expenses. Before treatment, make sure you know the price and the method of payment for the dental services. Consult with your insurance company about your orthodontic insurance plan and reimbursement percentage.
How Long Does It Take to Fix Overlapped Teeth?
The length of treatment is directly related to the alignment issues and the severity of an overlap. On average, the correction may take 12 months or less. If you have crowded or crooked teeth, the time of your correction may be extended. It’s important to wear your Invisalign 20 to 22 hours a day. Even a day without your aligners may set back the progress.
Our board-certified dentists are well-trained in treating complex dental issues, and misaligned teeth are not an exception. Misaligned front teeth treatment provided by our specialists in Yonkers will help you prevent gum disease, tooth decay, jaw pain, and other serious health issues.
Depending on the severity of the overlapping teeth, our dentist will help you choose the best treatment for your situation.
Do you have any questions about the overlapping teeth treatment fix using Invisalign? Please contact our dentistry clinic for consultation with the overlapping teeth specialist.